Music Discussion

Started by RedRaven, September 30, 2009, 10:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

(strange, not a single reply?)

David MeShow

Something for you guitar players, rock and heavy metal and all that... youtube's #1 with 20m views (phew). This guy David is a French-speaking Canadian musician who is a one-man-show (plays various instruments), and both music and entertainment as in how he presents his music are really good :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/DavidMeShow
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

I did check out the Matt Savage vids shortly after you posted them and they were technically solid and well played.  The unusual timing schemes in those pieces put them outside of my particular preferences and left me a bit unsettled where I have a habit of tapping a toe in time to something I'm trying to listen to.

The David MeShow vid on the other hand was very good and for me as a bass player has a beat I can dig into and get under. Very nice.  :-X

I tend to favor music styles that I at least have a chance of being able to reproduce.  :P
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Thanks for your reply, mandru, apparently you're the one and only guy who goes through every post here (apart from me)  ;) :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I'm not much of a music fan in my old years - I'm beginning to feel a bit like retiredgord.  ;D

Art Blade

do you mean you're going deaf, too?

AAaaaaahhhh! <runs away dodging thrown objects>  ;D

PZ

Art Blade

note to self: That guy is blind too, so he can't even read lips.. I'll leave him be.

;D

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on June 17, 2010, 11:55:58 AM
note to self: That guy is blind too, so he can't even read lips.. I'll leave him be.
Fortunately he can magnify the font on his PC  ;D

Art Blade

OMG! EVERYBODY, RUN!!!  ;D

mandru

I had to share this picture of a really nice piece of wood.  This is a Carvin B Series custom shop 5 string bass.  In this example the body wood is one of the most atypical pieces of mahogany I think I've ever seen with satin finish.

[smg id=2486 width=600 type=full align=center caption="Carvin Bass"]

I don't really care for the jellybean shaped headstock of the B series guitars(with the 4  + 1 tuning peg arrangement as I prefer the more spearhead shaped headstock of their LB or XB series basses) but I'd chew of my left leg at the hip if it would get me that 1 in a 10,000 beautiful piece of wood.

Either that or I could just figure out a way to come up with the $919 this guitar is selling for as one of the currently in-stock guitars at the Carvin site.   ;D
- mandru

fragger

That's a very classy looking instrument there, mate, lovely piece of wood used in it.

I'm not a musician, but my Dad is, so I've been around instruments and musicians all my life, but I never realised there was such a thing as a 5-string bass.

Art Blade

I wasn't aware of a 5-string bass, either, but looks cool. That mahogany body.. I bet it takes a while to burn that to ashes.

;D

mandru

The 5-string gives the bassist an additional five steps lower than the typical low E (down to low B) for some extended range.  There are even 6-string basses that add a high string above the typical 4-string basses are typically tuned to C. It just boils down to having a  higher and lower string gives the player more options towards where on the guitar they want to play by starting their patterns up or down the neck.  Personally because of its fingerboard width the 6-string is more of a handful than I want to wrestle with.

My bass is from this same company but is one of the LB Series and is also a 5-string but instead of being a bolt on 5 piece neck (laminated layers of alternating rock maple and mahogany giving the two visible dark stripes) the rock maple neck runs through the entire length of the body so that from tuning pegs to bottom bridge the strings are suspended by a single piece of wood that extends the ring time when a note is plucked and I like to think improves the tonality.  Also my guitar instead of being mahogany has black walnut body sides with the previously mentioned maple neck running through finished in tung oil.

As for burning it up Art.  I've been burning mine up for several years now and haven't suffered any charring yet.  Playing driving bass is a lot like trying to manage a musical jackhammer.  When I'm behaving myself I can almost vanish into the mix but I can easily blow the rest of the musicians off the stage with plenty of slamming low end power.
- mandru

Art Blade

very interesting read mandru :) I have always been fond of The Bass in music although I've never played it. When I compose music on the PC, I sometimes make it a double bass just to blow myself away sitting in the centre of my 5.1 surround with the bass making stuff on my desk rattle.  ;D

mandru

:)

Out of curiosity Art what program are you using to mix surround 5.1?
- mandru

Art Blade

I don't create real 5.1, just stereo, and then use the soundcard's delay and echo and stuff to create virtual surround sound. I used to w@&k with a professional who used Steinberg's Nuendo and Cubase Pro to create true 5.1

Art Blade

By the way, mandru, I was very surprised to see that you too started to add links in your pic descriptions leading to those posts they were used in. Well done, my son  ;D :-X

mandru

Thanks Art.  I think I've got an old program floating around in a box somewhere in my apartment that has a copy of Cubase bundled in it.  :)

I think the Gallery upload "Link to thread" was one of the first posting tips that you gave us so I copied and pasted how to do it and have tried to include that when I'm putting a picture into the gallery.

It just helps when an image catches someone's attention and they want to see what it's about.   8)
- mandru

Art Blade

that's exactly what it does, and it led me here to remark about it  ;D

fragger

Since mandru posted that image of his 5-string bass, I was inspired to post this picture of Jimmy Page's Gibson 1275 twin-neck - which I own!

[smg id=2507 align=center width=400]

Spoiler
Nah, just joking - it's only a model! There's a chap in Sydney who makes these amazing mini-replicas.

[smg id=2506 align=center width=400]

I also have this Fender Stratocaster model and what I think is something like a Gibson Les Paul (Anyone? I'd like to know what it's really a replica of). This fellow makes about 20 different models, and the detail of them is meticulous. My photos don't really do them justice, they're just like miniature versions of the real thing. You could almost play them, if you were about 14 inches tall.

[smg id=2508 align=center width=400]

Art Blade

That spoiler is just the duck's guts, mate  ^+-+ :-X

PZ

lol, perfect use of the spoiler button!  :-X

Art Blade

indeed :)

By the way:

Spoiler
Those guitars are real and their size is normal. The only thing fake is that oversized ruler.

PZ

You got me on that one!  :-D

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳